It’s been more than a month since we had our little Lemon and Bee brunch, but after being under the weather for most of May, I’m so excited to finally share about what was actually our first brunch of the spring season.
While our Mother’s Day Soirée featured oranges, this brunch featured lemons which were featured in our floral arrangements, on our cake, and for half of the cookies we special ordered from the Whimsy Cookie Co in Clemson, South Carolina.
Little jars of honey with a wooden honey dipper make the perfect little gift for guests.
Simple Fruit Salad with Blackberries, Blueberries, Strawberries, Mandarin Oranges, and Pomegranate Arils // Rosemary Potato Wedges drizzled with EVOO
All the delicious carbs including Bagel Bites from Bantam Bagels, Blackberry Lemon Scones (Whole Foods), pancakes and waffles. When you have littles joining you for brunch, it’s important to have finger foods available, and the pancakes were definitely a hit with Miss Cecileia.
I whipped up the Spinach Frittata’s after our guests had already arrived. They are so easy to make and only take 20 minutes in the oven before they are ready to serve. It also gave us an excuse to use some of the fresh basil, oregano and parsley from our herb garden which has been doing especially well this year.
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano (grated)
- 1 cup Colby jack (shredded)
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp fresh basil (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp fresh oregano (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- Goat Butter (for buttering your dishes)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Butter (we used goat butter) in your individual baking dishes, we used the Creme Brulee Dishes from Crate and Barrel. Place buttered dishes on a baking sheet.
- Stir together spinach, Parmesan cheese, and Colby Jack cheese in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs and herbs in another bowl. Stir egg mixture into spinach mixture. Spoon into dishes (be careful not to overflow).
- Bake in preheated 375°F (190°C) for 18 to 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
One of my favorite cakes from Whole Food is the Berry Chantilly Cake. We have them make it ‘naked’ and we decorate it however we like to suit the theme. We topped the cake with fresh lemon slices, honeycomb, and a paper bee and honeycomb and fresh flowers.
Note: If you’re planning on putting fresh flowers in your cake, be sure to wrap the stems!
Miss Charlotte and Miss Cecileia in their hand-knit sweaters by my mom (aka Gigi) and sunny yellow dresses.